They’re exceptionally easy and a bit better for you than the frozen meatball! Since the pan-browned meatballs are simmered in the crock pot with nothing but the BBQ sauce, you really need a good quality BBQ sauce like Chef Libero Tuscan BBQ to have loads of flavor. We finishe a whole batch of these every Sunday during the Family's brunch with Nonna, and these would be absolutely perfect to make for a party or potluck as well.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Product: Tuscan BBQ sauce
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 60 min
INGREDIENTS FOR 40 mini balls
- 1.6 lb. ground beef
- 1½ cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup very finely chopped onions (a food processor works great for this)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder or fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- 4-5 cups of Chef Libero Tuscan BBQ sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all the meatball ingredients and use your hands to thoroughly mix everything together.
- Roll meatballs about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Brown meatballs in a large skillet over medium high heat. (If you are using very lean beef you may want to drizzle your pan with a little olive oil.) Place browned meatballs in the bottom of your crockpot as you continue to brown them in batches.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over all the browned meatballs, using the full 5 cups if needed to make sure all the meatballs are covered in sauce.
- Cook on high for 1 hour until meatballs are hot and fully cooked.